This City Code of the City of Elko New Market contains:
  • Elko Ordinances up to and including Ordinance 169 (passed December 28, 2006);New Market Ordinances up to and including Ordinance 191 (passed September 14, 2006); and
  • Elko New Market Ordinance 55 (passed July 22, 2010).

Ordinances of the City adopted after said ordinances supersede the provisions of this city code to the extent that they are in conflict or inconsistent therewith. Consult the City of Elko New Market in order to ascertain whether any particular provision of the code has been amended, superseded or repealed.

The Elko New Market City Code is divided into the following sections:

  • Title 1 - Administration
  • Title 2 - Board & Commissions
  • Title 3 - Finance
  • Title 4 - Business & Licenses
  • Title 5 - Health & Sanitation
  • Title 6 - Police & Public Safety
  • Title 7 - Motor Vehicles & Traffic
  • Title 8 - Public Ways & Property
  • Title 9 - Public Utilities
  • Title 10 - Building Regulations
  • Title 11 - Zoning
  • Title 12 - Subdivisions



Below are a few regulations that commonly affect residents. These guidelines are summaries of an ordinance only. Please see the Elko New Market City Code for the full ordinance or for any other ordinances that may apply. For additional information on certain regulations, please call City Hall at (952)461-2777.

Animal Control

The Elko New Market Police Department is responsible for the enforcement of animal regulations in the City. Please call the non-emergency number at (952) 445-1411 to report animals running loose, animal welfare concerns, animal noise complaints, lost pets, and other animal related issues. Reports should be made at the time the violation is occurring.

Exterior Storage

In residential districts, all materials and equipment shall be stored within a building or fully screened so as not to be visible from adjoining properties, except for the following:

  • Laundry drying.
  • Construction and landscaping materials and equipment currently (within a period of 36 hours) being used on the premises.
  • Agricultural equipment and materials if these are used or intended for use on the premises.
  • Off street parking of passenger automobiles and pickup trucks.


In business, industrial, and institutional districts, there shall be no outdoor storage of either materials or products, except through the issuance of a conditional use permit.

To report an exterior storage violation, please call City Hall at (952)461-2777 or submit an 
online citizen concern form.


To control noise problems, the City has designated the following time frames allowed for the operation of domestic power equipment or construction activity:

  • Weekdays between 7:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m.
  • Weekends and holidays between 9:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m.

Snow removal equipment is exempt from this provision.

Please report noise complaints by calling the Elko New Market Police non-emergency number at (952)445-1411. Noise complaints should be made at the time the violation is occurring.  

Parking Restrictions

The City of Elko New Market has adopted ordinances the regulate parking within the city. Common violations include:

  • Vehicles cannot be parked on any city street or alley for more than 48 consecutive hours
  • Winter parking regulations are in effect from November 1 to April 1. Parking on city streets is prohibited:
    • Between 2:00 a.m. and 7:00 a.m. on any day.
    • At any other time when the national weather service forecast accumulation is two (2) or more inches of snow, until the street or alley has been plowed.
  • Vehicles cannot be parked on grass. Parking shall be limited to the garage and driveway areas of residential properties.
  • Vehicles must be currently licensed and operable.
  • Vehicles cannot obstruct a public sidewalk or trail.

To report a parking violation, please call the Elko New Market Police non-emergency number at (952)445-1411. Complaints should be made at the time the violation is occurring.

Recreational Vehicle Parking

RECREATIONAL VEHICLE: Any motor vehicle or trailer primarily used for sport/leisure activities, travel, camping, hauling, and/or temporary lodging, including, but not limited to: all-terrain vehicles (ATV), campers, dirt bikes, dune buggies, go-karts, golf carts, ice or fish houses, motor homes, motorized watercrafts, snowmobiles, trailers, and utility task vehicles (UTV).

No more than three recreational vehicles may be parked on residential property. Up to two recreational vehicles may be parked in the driveway in accordance with the following seasonal classifications:

Recreational vehicles not stored or permitted in the driveway must be parked in the rear or side yard on a surface of concrete, bitumen, or pavers. Recreational vehicles must be located entirely outside of public easements or buffer yards and provide a five (5) foot setback from property lines. Recreational vehicles within a side yard of a corner lot abutting a public right of way must be set back ten (10) feet from the property line abutting a public right of way. Owners of recreational vehicles should review the full recreational vehicle ordinance before parking their recreational vehicle.

To report a recreational vehicle violation, please call City Hall at (952)461-2777 or submit an online citizen concern form.


The owner and occupant of property adjacent to a public sidewalk must keep it safe for pedestrians and shall not allow snow, ice, dirt or rubbish to remain on the walk longer than 24 hours after its deposit on the sidewalk.

Questions or complaints regarding sidewalks should be directed to City Hall at (952)461-2777.

Special Use Vehicles
 (ATVs, UTVs, Golf Carts)

The City Code allows Special Use Vehicles (ATVs, UTVs, and Golf Carts) to be driven on public streets within the city limits with a permit. Permits are issued at City Hall during regular business hours (Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.). Proof of insurance complying with Minnesota Statutes section 65B.48 is required.


  • Must be permitted by the City
  • May not operate on sidewalks
  • May not operate on shared use paths (except those along County Road 2 and County Road 91)
  • May not operate in parks
  • May not operate between 1:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m. (unless returning home from somewhere outside the City limits)
  • Must comply with equipment requirements

Other information to be noted is as follows:

  • Age restrictions for the operation of special use vehicles do apply. Please review these requirements before operating a special use vehicle on City streets.
  • Snowmobiles do not need a permit, only ATVs, UTVs, and golf carts.
  • Special use vehicles licensed and equipped to be driven as motor vehicles do not need a permit.
  • People residing outside of the City limits can get a permit and would need to if driving on public streets within the City limits.
  • All permits fees are $30 and permit a single vehicle. A separate application form needs to be completed (and fee paid) for each special use vehicle.
  • All permits cover a three year period: January 1, 2020 to December 31 2022.
  • The issued permit sticker should be placed on the front or driver’s side of the special use vehicle.

Questions or complaints regarding special use vehicles should be directed to City Hall at (952) 461-2777.

Weeds and Tall Grass

City Code prohibits weeds which have gone or are about to go to seed and the growth of grasses to a height greater than 12 inches (1 foot).  Property owners who receive notice of a violation are given 10 days to eradicate the weeds and/or cut the grass. If an owner fails to comply, the City will take action to bring the property in compliance and all costs incurred will be assessed and affixed to the property’s taxes.

To report a tall grass or weed issue, please call the Elko New Market Police non-emergency number at (952) 445-1411.